Two cannons point over the city, they were brought to NZ in 1879 during the Russian threat. Originally they were set up at North Head and Point Resolution. They were mounted in Albert Park in 1905 along with a number of other artillary pieces.
During the construction of the air raid shelters it was believed the cannons might attract attention of enemy aircraft and so they were all buried or shifted. They remained buried until 1977 where the two present cannons were dug up and restored.