The Virtual Reality Modeling Language
International Standard ISO/IEC 14772-1:1997
Copyright © 1997 The VRML Consortium Incorporated.
This document is part 1 of ISO/IEC 14772-1:1997, the Virtual Reality
Modeling Language (VRML), also referred to as "VRML97". The full
title of this part of the International Standard is: Information technology
-- Computer graphics and image processing -- The Virtual Reality Modeling
Language (VRML) -- Part 1: Functional specification and UTF-8 encoding.
The Foreword provides background on the standards process
for VRML. The Introduction describes the purpose, design criteria,
and characteristics of VRML. The following clauses define part 1 of ISO/IEC
- Scope defines the problem area that VRML addresses.
- Normative references lists the normative standards referenced in
this part of ISO/IEC 14772.
- Definitions contains the glossary of terminology used
in this part of ISO/IEC 14772.
- Concepts describes various fundamentals of VRML.
- Field and event reference specifies the datatypes
used by nodes.
- Node reference defines the syntax and semantics of VRML nodes.
- Conformance and minimum support requirements describes the
conformance requirements for VRML implementations.
There are several annexes included in the specification:
- Grammar definition presents the grammar for the VRML file format.
- Java platform scripting reference describes how VRML scripting integrates with
the Java platform.
- ECMAScript scripting reference describes how VRML scripting integrates
- Examples includes a variety of VRML example files.
- Bibliography lists the informative, non-standard topics
referenced in this part of ISO/IEC 14772.
- Recommendations for non-normative extensions lists
informative recommendations for extensions to VRML.